STORY WRITTEN BY BRIAN BINGAMAN
@brianbingaman on Twitter
On June 11, the Glenside-based Jazz Bridge offers a Jazz Cruise on the Delaware River.
During the cruise, the nonprofit, which presents concerts around the region and assists Greater Philadelphia area jazz and blues musicians and vocalists in times of crisis, will be presenting its second annual Jazz Ambassador Award to Towamencin resident Michael Ricci, the founder of AllAboutJazz.com and JazzNearYou.com.
All About Jazz, a worldwide information hub for all things jazz, is a 13-time winner of the Jazz Journalists Association’s “Best Web Site” award, as well as a recipient of top jazz website accolades from Google, “The Wall Street Journal,” the BBC, “Time” and “Forbes.”
Jazz Near You, which launched in October 2012, is a network of more than 300 sites focused on what’s happening in specific markets by aggregating local jazz events and distributing them through the web, email, an app, widgets and feeds.
When asked how high the Jazz Ambassador Award honor ranks for him — “The New York Times” and “The Los Angeles Times” have also declared All About Jazz a top jazz website — Ricci replied in an email: “For me personally, it’s more meaningful.
First, it’s local. I’ve worked behind the scenes for two decades to promote jazz in the Philadelphia region. It’s nice to be recognized for that. Secondly, it has everything to do with the All About Jazz/Jazz Near You platform. Musicians and presenters use it regularly which tells me that what I’ve created has value. As a software developer/entrepreneur, you can’t ask for more than that.”
Jazz Bridge presents the award to an individual or business that has done the most for jazz in the Philadelphia metropolitan area.
Thinking about setting sail on the Elite Yacht for the Jazz Bridge Jazz Cruise?
• It runs 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday the 11th.
• Boarding time is 1:15 p.m. from 401 S. Columbus Boulevard at Penn’s Landing in Philadelphia.
• Performing on board will be the Bootsie Barnes Organ Band, featuring trombonist John Swana, organist Dan Kuralnick and drummer Duck Scott.
• Tickets are $97.50 through PayPal — visit www.jazzbridge.org/events/special-events — and include hors d’oeuvres, antipasto, desserts, automatic raffle entry for prizes and more.
• Dress is casual and comfortable shoes are suggested.
• For information about this fundraising cruise, call (215) 517-8337.