STORY WRITTEN BY MICHAEL WATERLOO
Lebanon Daily News/Digital First Media
Redbox needs to get with it. “Dumb and Dumber To” was released about a month ago now, but it’s still not available with the thriving kiosk company. Now, my expectations aren’t high for it, because there’s no way it will top the original film. However, it could be good, because as this list shows, sometimes the sequels are actually as good or better than the original.
Here are the top 10 – this list could have been 20 – sequels that were actually pretty damn good.
10. Anchorman 2: Perhaps it’s recency bias, but I enjoyed Anchorman 2, despite being wary heading into it. Steve Carell and Kristen Wiig stole the show.
9. Despicable Me 2: I’m a kid stuck inside a 28-year-old body. The original is one of my favorite movies, and the second one wasn’t as good, but I still enjoyed it throughout. I want a kid like Agnes.
8. Horrible Bosses 2: Maybe I’m stuck in 2014, but Jason Bateman, Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis are back, along with Jennifer “Fine Wine” Aniston. This time, the trio plans a kidnaping. Oops, kidnapping, with two Ps.
7. The Lost World: Jurassic Park: It’s not the original, but that’s OK. Eighteen years later, it’s just as exciting.
6. Die Hard with a Vengeance: Truth be told, I will watch every Die Hard movie until the end of time. After the first one, Die Hard with a Vengeance tops them all.
5. Toy Story: Again, I’m a kid. The Toy Story series may be my favorite series of all time. This is the rare occasion where I think the sequel actually was better than the original.
4. Christmas Vacation: A classic Christmas movie that can be enjoyed throughout the year.
3. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York: Rotten Tomatoes gives it a one-star rating, but what do they know, anyway? If I’m in New York, I still feel like I’ll see the pigeon lady in Central Park if I look hard enough.
2. The Godfather: Part II: This should really just be titled “The Godfather…continued.” It should be watched with the original. Oh, and just pretend The Godfather: Part III never happened. You’ll enjoy the first two more.
1. The Dark Knight: A top five movie of all time to me. I still haven’t seen a performance better than Heath Ledger’s portrayal of the Joker. If you have, please share.